Due to the extreme heat and drought, residents in Burbank and other California areas have been under immense pressure for water. Follow these three simple tree-watering strategies to keep your trees healthy
How can you tell whether you need to water your tree?
Gently press it 6-8 inches into the ground using a screwdriver or other tool. It’s probably time to water again if the soil is dry and crumbly.
How often will you have to water your plants?
Each tree is different, but young trees should be watered once or twice a week (depending on the temperature), and mature trees should be watered once or twice a month.
Think low and leisurely while watering your tree. To avoid evaporation, water should be kept at ground level. To ensure that water soaks into the ground, use a watering tool with a slow, consistent release.
The idea is to provide water to the roots, which are usually 12-18 inches below ground level.
Remember, the City of Burbank Parks and Recreation advises watering your trees only before 9:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m.
Mulch retains moisture in the soil and protects the roots of your tree from excessive heat. Simply cover the ground around the tree with about 4 inches of mulch, leaving about 6 inches of space between the tree’s trunk and where the mulch begins.
Did you know that the City of Burbank offers a mulch program that is completely free?
You can find a place in Burbank near you where you can pick up mulch here. If you are in need of a large quantity, you may even be eligible for a home delivery. Check out the Burbank CA city government website in the Parks and Recreation for additional information.
For any additional tree services in Burbank like trimming, removal, pruning, cutting, you can call us and request a quote.
Check out our other blog posts for more useful tree care tips and information.
- The Cost of Tree Removal – Factors That Affect Price and Tips for Saving Money
- How to Choose a Tree Trimming Service
- How to Take Care of Trees During a Drought
- How to Kill a Tree Stump
- Tree Pruning 101: Expert Tips for Maintaining Healthy Trees
- Benefits and Reasons to Trim and Prune Trees
- Arborist’s 5 Tips for Choosing The Right Tree for Your Yard
- Unveiling Burbank’s Green Heritage: A Guide to the Most Common Native Trees
- When is the Best Time to Trim or Cut Down Your Trees?
- Tree Trimming Tips – How to Trim Trees Safely